How is a Moroccan breakfast
Moroccan breakfast, or Iftar as they say in Morocco, it is usually very rich and varied.
Often different delicacies are combined and arranged in numerous small bowls on the breakfast table.
Bread, eggs, (goat) cheese, butter, olives, beans, breakfast soup, fruits and more can often be found on the breakfast table.
A Moroccan breakfast can also be sweet with pancakes, semolina bread, milk rolls (Krachel) or amlou.
Moroccan tea, spiced coffee and fresh juices should of course not be missing.
Here we show a selection of delicious breakfast ideas from Morocco:
Moroccan Breakfast - An Overview
Bread & rolls
Bread is an important part of the Moroccan menu and of course it shouldn't be missing at breakfast either.
Here are some typical Moroccan breads:
- Batbout - Pan bread made from a mixture of flour and semolina. It is similar to Italian pita bread.
- Harcha- Semolina bread, which is also baked in the pan
- Meloui - Snail-shaped bread made from yeast dough
- Crackle- Moroccan milk rolls flavored with aniseed or orange blossom water.
There is also a lot of white bread.
The bread is eaten with jam, cheese spread, honey or olive oil, for example.
A specialty in Morocco is that the bread is usually not spread with a spread, but rather it is torn into small pieces and dipped in.
Eggs can be found in different variations on the Moroccan breakfast table.
Here are some examples of how they are prepared:
- Baked (mirror) eggs with olives, goat cheese, olive oil and bread
- Boiled eggs sprinkled with salt and cumin
- Moroccan style eggs with onions, tomatoes and fresh herbs. Also known as Berber omelette (see recipe here). A very tasty Moroccan breakfast recipe!
Moroccan pancakes like baghrir or mssemen are popular with children and adults.
They can be combined both sweet (with honey, jam, amlou etc.) and savory (e.g. with cheese or olives).
Croissants & baguette
Due to the French influence, croissants and baguettes are also widespread in Morocco. There are also crepes.
Amlou is a sweet paste made from almonds, honey and the precious argan oil.
It goes very well with bread or pancakes. You can use the almond paste as a spread or simply tear the bread into small pieces and dip in amlou.
Bissara is a satiating one White bean soupwhich is already eaten for breakfast.
Before serving, the soup is often drizzled with argan oil.
Bread is served with the breakfast soup.
Sfenj are something like circular dough rings with a hole in the middle that are fried in hot oil.
They are similar to donuts or donuts. If you like it sweet, sprinkle them with sugar or dip them in honey.
Fresh, local fruits are cheap in Morocco and complement the menu.
Depending on the season, there are oranges, figs, grapes, pomegranates, avocadaos and many more. Dates are also native to Morocco and are available in dried form all year round.
What do you drink for breakfast in Morocco?
The well-known Moroccan mint tea is something like the national drink and is drunk several times a day. That is why it should not be missing from a Moroccan breakfast.
Of course there is also coffee. Like tea, this is also often drunk sweet.
Spiced coffee, which is refined with spices such as cardamom, cloves or Ras el Hanout, is also popular.
Freshly squeezed fruit juices are cheap, healthy and delicious.
In Morocco, you can find stands with freshly squeezed orange juice in particular. But pomegranate juice and avocado shakes are also popular.
Breakfast in Morocco
The best opportunity to try an original Moroccan breakfast is of course on holiday.
Breakfast in the local restaurant is available from around 25 dirhams (around 2.50 euros) upwards. Breakfast is already included in many accommodations. In larger hotel complexes you will find breakfast buffets with a diverse selection.
Moroccan breakfast in Germany
If you want to enjoy a traditional Moroccan breakfast in this country, you can do so in a Moroccan restaurant. You will usually find what you are looking for in larger cities such as Frankfurt, Berlin or Düsseldorf.
- How is software development outsourced normally?
- How do the British see other Europeans
- Why do older sisters hate younger sisters
- Pest control eat cats cockroaches
- How are Indian boys
- What is a typical drink from Croatia
- Can a proton survive on its own?
- How does contour plowing prevent soil erosion
- What does a depressed narcissist look like
- Help the environment
- See dogs colors 1
- What does it mean to become a firefighter
- What is normal quality of sleep
- Reading books is out of date
- May husbands have stronger wives
- Why are footballers paid more than doctors?
- Is there a military in Nigeria?
- What do people think of Nigerian accent
- What are some zoo animals
- What does citizenship mean in the world
- What makes you really happy at work?
- What are we going to school
- Which is the best slavic country
- Does your company value customer feedback
- How can I lose hope
- Is relevant today by George Orwell 1984
- Make yourself brain dead from lithium
- How to build drywall
- How is it in Australia 1
- What are some interesting facts about body language
- Why am I so antisocial
- What's your rating of Charlotte NC
- What are the most common devops tools
- What makes people change forever