How can I confirm my passport application

Welcome to the website of the Federal Foreign Office

General information

Where can I apply for the passport?

To apply for a passport, the applicant must visit the passport office of the embassy in Seoul in person. Minors must also come in person accompanied by their custodians (usually both parents). Please make an appointment via our website.

If you reside in Busan, Daegu, Pohang, or Gyeongsangnam-do Province, the application for a temporary passport or child passport can be submitted to the Honorary Consul's Office in Busan. However, processing takes place at the embassy in Seoul. Biometric passports (ePassports) cannot be applied for there.

How long does it take to process the passports?

The processing time for the issue of a biometric ePassport (red passport) is approx. 4-6 weeks from the submission of the complete application documents. A provisional passport and a child's passport can be issued on the same day if the documents are complete.

Passports cannot be extended in their validity. The only exception are child passes.

Documents: What documents do I need?

With every passport application, all documents are included in the original or as a certified copy to submit:

Fully completed passport application
Adults - eng / eng
Minors - eng / eng

A well-lit biometric passport photo (passport photo template) Point out to the photographer that the photo must not be edited / retouched.
Please note that passport photos that deviate from the specifications CANNOT be used.
The following applies to minors: from the age of 6, the passport photo must be biometric

Last German passport (not applicable for the first application)
Valid Alien Registration Card
Birth certificate (if in a third language with a translation into German or English)

If married: marriage certificate or family book
In the case of minors, the parents' marriage certificate, if applicable

If the passport is lost: report the loss to the police
If applicable: Certificate of name change or name change of the child

If deregistered in Germany: de-registration certificate from the last German place of residence

If you have acquired German citizenship through naturalization and a passport has not yet been issued: Naturalization certificate
For naturalization abroad: foreign naturalization certificate and certificate authorizing the retention of German citizenship
For minors: passports or ID cards of their parents and, if applicable, proof of sole custody

In individual cases it may be necessary to submit additional documents.

Passports for minors: how do minors get a passport?


From 01.01.2021, children's passports and their extensions are a maximum a year valid.

It is not possible to register children in a parent's German passport. A separate passport must be applied for at the embassy for minors. For the application, a personal interview accompanied by the legal guardian (usually both parents) is required. They must agree to the passport application. In the case of sole custody, this must be proven (e.g. divorce decree with transfer of custody, death certificate of the deceased parent). To enter the USA without a visa, minors need their own biometric passport.

Do I need a name declaration for my child?

Before you apply for a German passport, the name of the child must be clarified. If you have a German birth certificate for the child or if you have a married name as parents under German law, then the name is usually fixed. If you only have a foreign birth certificate for the child, then the name entered there is not always valid under German law.

If you have any doubts, please contact the consular department.

Should I apply for a child passport or a biometric passport for my child?

Children's passports are fully valid passports that, unlike the biometric ePassport, do not contain a data chip (i.e. no digitized information about the passport holder, no digitized photo and no fingerprints).

Children's passports are valid for 6 years (from 01.01.2021 only 1 year), depending on the age of the child at the time of application. However, no later than the age of 12.

The children's passport is cheaper than the regular biometric passport and is printed directly in the embassy. However, participation in the US Visa Waiver Program is not possible with this passport. In addition, the child pass is not recognized in some countries. If you already know when applying for a passport that you will be traveling to the USA or another country where child passports are not accepted, you should apply for a biometric passport.

For children who have already reached the age of 11, it is advisable to apply for a biometric passport, as the children's passport will only be valid up to their 12th birthday, i.e. less than 1 year.

What is a temporary passport?

A provisional passport is only valid for one year and is only issued in exceptional cases if there are special reasons. This passport entitles you to enter most countries in the region (e.g. Japan, Taiwan, Thailand), but not to entry without a visa (visa waiver program) to the USA (also Guam, Saipan) or e.g. to Malaysia.

Please inform yourself about the entry requirements of your destination country before each trip. You can find guidance on the website of the Federal Foreign Office.

The same documents are required for applying for the temporary passport as for the biometric passport.

Notes of the kor. Immigration Office

Please note the following information from the Korean Immigration Office:

Reporting requirement

According to Art. 35 of the Immigration Act, all foreigners registered in Korea are obliged to notify the Korean Immigration Office within 14 days of any changes that affect their name, gender, date of birth, nationality, change of address, passport number or passport validity. The report can also be made online if necessary. Otherwise a fine will be charged. In the case of passport renewals or changes, the penalty should only be calculated after 44 days from the date of issue of the passport. In exceptional cases, the embassy can confirm the collection date of the passport. Please note the information on the website of the Immigration Office:

The new passport number can also be communicated conveniently online (hikorea - e-application).

Passport validity when extending the residence permit

From July 1, 2021, the Immigration Office will only extend the residence permit period according to the validity of the passport. This means the following: if your passport is only valid for 6 months, your residence permit will only be extended for a maximum of 6 months, even if you would qualify for an extension for 2 years.