What's your go-to fake name
Quirky and funny place names
These cities make you smile
You may know Christmas Island in Australia or Easter Island in Chile, but have you heard of these bizarre and funny place names? If you don't smile here, it's your own fault!
llanfairpwllgwyngyll - who knows this city? Or should I better ask who can pronounce them correctly? In this article you can train your laughing muscles a little, because I'll introduce you to them bizarre and funniest place names in the world in front. Some of them are harmless, while others almost sound like an insult. I have brought chaos into the crazy world of place and city names for you and today I would like to introduce you to my highlights.
Quirky and funny place names
Germany | USA | Worldwide
Who can pronounce these names?
Germany: from cow feeding to adventure
The Germans are often accused of a lack of humor in other countries, but these place names provide direct counter-evidence for this. Anyone who came up with these names must have a real sense of humor and creativity.
- The little village Cow feeding lies between Leipzig and Nuremberg and is home to just under 130 people.
- The Hessian city Lentil dish is already much larger with about 10,000 inhabitants and thus the chances of running into a lentil dish also increase.
- Action in adventure? Unfortunately, you are in the wrong place in Abentheuer in Rhineland-Palatinate, because apart from the unique name, Abentheuer is a village like any other.
Of course, that wasn't all! There are more bizarre German place names here. Do you maybe even know one or the other of it?
- Summer slump
- Green cabbage
- Heart leap
- a raincoat
- Top cheap
- Hemp garden
Crazy Place Names in the USA: Why?
The highlights of the USA usually include New York, Las Vegas or Miami. In the quirkiness category, however, other cities are clearly stealing the show from the metropolises. In 2012 America even chose the most embarrassing city names. Deserves first place: Toad Suck, in German Toad Sog, a city in the state of Arkansas.
Of course I have collected more American highlights for you. With such a large country, it seems that at some point the Americans just ran out of breath. At least that's the impression I got when I came to town for the first time Why in Arizona and No name heard in Colorado. These city names, which also sound much better, put you in a good mood:
- Cool California
- Surprise, Arizona
- Fear Not, Pennsylvania
- Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania
- Intercourse, Pennsylvania
- King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
- Disco, Tennessee
- Coxsackie, New York
- Ballplay, Tennessee
- Dick, Colorado
- Chicken, Alaska
- Frankenstein, Missouri
Place names worldwide: Batman, Dildo & Co.
Do you think that's all there is to it? Then I will convince you of the opposite, because there are quite a few more whimsical and funny place names in the world that keep attracting attention and make one or the other of us smile.
- In Switzerland and France it is Bitsch not a swear word, but a completely normal place name.
- In Turkey people talk about Batman and doesn't mean the superhero at all, but a city in the province of the same name in the south-east of the country.
- The Briton Gary Gale, a full-time geographer, has made it his hobby to collect dirty city names from all over the world and to collect them in his list Vaguely Rude Places. In total, he has already posted more than 200 entries. Here are some examples for you guys:
- Condom in France
- Dildo in Canada
- Crap in Switzerland and Albania
- Anus in the Philippines and Indonesia
- Blowhard in Australia
Place names that nobody wants (or can) pronounce
With some of the place names, to be honest, I am not surprised that one or the other prefers to avoid the pronunciation. In other cities, on the other hand, I think that pronunciation is even impossible. Are you brave and fearless language talents? Have fun!
- How about this piece of jewelry: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch? No, this is not an April Fool's joke, but the name of the roughly 3,000 souls community in north-west Wales. But the Welsh people are also rather lazy when it comes to pronunciation and affectionately call their little home Llanfairpwll - or, even more simply, Llanfair. By the way, the English have decided on their own abbreviation and simply say: Gogogoch. By the way, this Welsh place is only the longest in Europe and not the only word queue among the cities.Llanfair means: Marienkirche (Llanfair) in a hollow (pwll) white hazelnuts (gwyn gyll) nearby (ger) of a swift vortex (chwyrn drobwll) and the Thysiliokirche (llantysilio) at the red cave (ogo goch).
- In Illinois, USA, however, great emphasis is placed on the correct pronunciation of city names. It seems so important here that a law has even been passed on it. This applies, among other things, to the city of Joliet, which you should definitely pronounce Joe-lee-ette in order to avoid a fine.
- Also in New Zealand you can find long city names like: Taumata Whakatangi Hangakoauau O Tamatea Turi Pukakapiki Maunga Horo Nuku Pokai Whenua Kitanatahu. A City name with a total of 85 letters! Crazy, right? Of course, residents and tourists prefer to use abbreviations here as well. Absolutely understandable!
Do you know any other names?
I hope I was able to make you smile a bit with my article. Anyway, I won't forget these crazy places anytime soon. If you know any other funny place names, feel free to share them in the comments. I'm curious what else you have in store!
More fun and bizarre facts
- What does EE mean in shoe size
- How often do healthy couples fight
- Why do door hinges squeak
- What do Keralites think of Tamils
- Los Angeles is a depressing place
- How much extra money do i need
- Is It Safe To Make Money Online?
- Can parents teach homophobia to their children?
- What can immediately motivate me to learn
- Why do celebrities suffer from depression
- Why do immigrants leave Hong Kong
- How do you use Microsoft OneNote effectively
- Why do some people hoard
- When did people start using smartphones?
- How do I organize a children's party
- Why are Brazilians so friendly
- Are all whites Indo-European
- What is commercial construction
- Is female the gender of a waiter
- Like Australoid are South Asians
- It is advisable to sit up straight
- Men work hardest
- Muslims in India feel discriminated against
- What is the maximum package in MMM