Why is bread so delicious
What belongs in good bread?
For breakfast, in between meals or as a classic evening meal: there is hardly any other food in Germany that stands for tradition and originality as much as bread. But the reality is different in many bakeries: bakers use baking mixes to save time and money. The production of a three-stage sourdough - the basis for artisanal mixed rye bread - takes three days. In contrast, the dough is ready within a few hours with a ready-made mixture.
What is bread dough made of?
A traditionally made dough contains flour, water, salt, raising agents such as yeast or sourdough - and nothing else. But many bakers nowadays use other ingredients and additives to improve the baking properties and to be able to offer a greater variety of products. Some examples:
- Ascorbic acid allows flour to ripen faster.
- Emulsifiers help mix the water and oil. The dough has more volume and becomes looser.
- Locust bean gum binds water (potatoes, starch or guar gum are also suitable for this).
- Preservatives are only allowed with sliced bread. They are supposed to prevent mold. An alternative method of combating fungi: The sliced and packaged bread is heated to around 70 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.
- Enzymes change the properties of the dough. However, they are not subject to labeling for finished baked goods. German organic bakers generally work without artificial enzymes.
- fat and sugar are supposed to improve the taste. Their share of the dough must not exceed ten percent.
What's in ready-made baking mixes?
Baking mixes contain non-perishable ingredients such as flour, starch, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk powder and egg powder and, depending on the recipe, also raisins and nuts. Bakers can further process these mixtures according to their wishes. Therefore, not all breads made from the same baking mix have to look or taste the same.
What types of bread are there?
The choice is huge. The following products are particularly common:
- Wheat bread consists of at least 90 percent wheat flour, which ensures a mild taste. The rest can be supplemented with other flours. Typical wheat breads are white bread, baguette and ciabatta.
- Mixed wheat bread is baked from 51 to 89 percent wheat flour and has a stronger taste than wheat bread. Mixed wheat breads are, for example, Hamburger Feinbrot and Kasseler.
- Rye bread Like the Berlin country bread, it is made from at least 90 percent rye flour. It has a strong, often slightly sour taste.
- Mixed rye bread contains 51 to 89 percent rye flour. The higher the proportion of rye, the stronger the taste. The rye mixed breads include, for example, Mecklenburg country bread and Paderborn bread.
- Whole grain bread must contain at least 90 percent rye or whole wheat flour (or a mixture of both flours). Whole wheat flour contains all the components of the grain, either finely ground, as a whole meal or as a whole grain. Whole grains on the bread crust or inside (the crumb) are no guarantee that wholemeal flour dough was baked.
How must the ingredients be labeled?
A list of ingredients must be available for loose bread from the bakery. Sellers are obliged to provide information about the ingredients. For packaged bread, some information is required, for example flour, flour content, weight, the best-before date and a list of ingredients. Dark coloring substances such as malt extract, caramel or sugar beet syrup are also subject to labeling. They are usually supposed to simulate a high proportion of wholemeal flour, but the bread is only colored. A look at the list of ingredients will help you find out.
How does bread stay fresh for a long time?
Bread stays fresh for a long time
Bread tastes best fresh. If stored correctly, however, it will still be delicious after a few days. What should you watch out for? more
Bread is best stored at room temperature. So that it does not dry out, it must be protected. The best storage method: Place the bread with the cut surface on a wooden board and wrap it with a clean cotton cloth or place it in a bread pot with the cloth. Packaged bread should be stored in the original packaging. Breads with a crispy crust and rolls belong in the air, otherwise they will become soft. Basically, the higher the proportion of wheat flour, the shorter the bread stays fresh. While white bread only lasts up to three days, rye bread can last up to ten days.
I.is bread healthy?
That depends on the type of bread. White bread, for example, hardly provides any nutrients or fiber because it is made from white flour. It is high in carbohydrates, but is not very filling. Whole wheat bread, on the other hand, is nutritious because the whole grain contains many minerals such as calcium and magnesium, trace elements and fiber, as well as some B vitamins. The higher the so-called flour type, the more nutrients it contains. If you bake bread yourself, you should buy a wheat flour type 1050 rather than the widespread flour type 405 and mix it with nutrient-rich rye flour if possible.
The high salt content of bread is problematic. This is why you shouldn't eat too much of it, especially for people with high blood pressure.
How dangerous is mold on bread?
Even if only small areas are infected with mold, the whole bread belongs in the trash can. Because molds also grow invisibly inside the bread. Some types of mold are suspected of causing cancer and allergies, as well as damaging the kidneys and liver. If you use a bread bin, you should regularly wipe out crumbs. They are particularly quickly attacked by mold.
Beware of celiac disease and wheat intolerance
Some people do not tolerate cereal products, including bread. In the autoimmune disease celiac disease, the adhesive protein gluten causes inflammation of the small intestine. Gluten is contained in wheat, spelled, rye, barley, oats and green spelled. For those affected, there are special gluten-free breads made from corn flour or buckwheat, for example.
About one percent of the population suffers from celiac disease, but only a small proportion of them suffer from serious symptoms. Around eleven percent suffer from wheat intolerance. New studies assume that certain proteins from wheat, so-called ATIs, can trigger inflammation in the intestines. Special sugar compounds in wheat, so-called FODMAPs, are also suspected of causing symptoms in sensitive people.
Flaxseed Quark Bread
Baking can be so easy: This rich bread does not contain any flour. All ingredients are mixed together and baked in the oven for 90 minutes. more
How healthy is crispbread?
Crispbread is low in calories and is considered healthy. In the past, it often contained high levels of harmful acrylamide. New manufacturing processes should reduce the share. more
Flour: a powder that feeds the world
Flour is one of the most common foods - whether made from wheat, rye or corn. What is the difference between the many varieties and why was there only wholemeal flour in the past? A commodity customer. more
This topic in the program:
Know more - live better | 03/20/2020 | 3:15 p.m.
- What are some tips for writing texts
- Is overrated Chartered Accountancy in India
- How bad are croissants
- Which physical characteristics are unattractive for women?
- What do hands in pockets symbolize?
- How dangerous is Bridgeport CT
- Muslims celebrate Thanksgiving
- What are the best neighborhoods in NYC
- What happened to your bully in middle school
- Is coaching necessary for UPSC beginners
- Amazon is a secondary technology company
- Trust and care ENFPs people
- What is the brutal truth about living alone
- Why do Tamils like Kerala so much
- What are some cool lock screen patterns
- How do I date a doctor
- What is an optical flow sensor
- Is the Chinese military parade true?
- Where is Louis Vuitton made
- Which food is surprisingly easy to cook
- Is gambling a bad thing?
- Where does feminism end and where does misandry begin
- SugarDaddy.com is a scam
- Are the UAE hotter than Africa