How safe is Nassau in the Bahamas
It is actually hard to put into words, with what concentrated load of beauty, warmth and luxury on her Bahamas will be received. You just have to see and experience it with your own eyes. In order to give you an impression of what your vacation in the Bahamas could look like, I would like to tell you about my personal experiences. Let yourself be enchanted by paradisiacal islands and beaches, look forward to animal encounters under and above water and accompany me on an unforgettable journey to the Caribbean. Who knows, maybe you'll find your way here soon?
Dreams come true in the Bahamas
Worth knowing | Welcome to Paradise
Islands & Beaches |Accommodation | activities
Swimming pigs | Caribbean deals
Video: Vacation guru
Interesting facts about the Bahamas
Do you want to find out more about the country and its people before planning your trip? Then I have a few valuable tips for you in advance. Read everything you need to know about immigration, infrastructure and the like here.
- Geography: The Bahamas are an island nation in the Atlantic Ocean, located southeast of the United States and northeast of Cuba. Geographically, they belong to Central America and consist of more than 700 islands and 2,500 cays.
- Passport & Visa: To enter the Bahamas, as a German citizen, you need a passport that is valid for at least six months after the end of the trip. For a tourist stay of up to 90 days you do not need a visa, you only need to be in possession of an onward or return flight ticket. Important: If you travel via the USA, for example via Miami or Atlanta, the travel and safety instructions of the USA apply. You can find out more about this in my article on Entry into the USA.
- Capital: Nassau is the capital of the Bahamas and is located on the 33 kilometers long island of New Providence. With almost 250,000 inhabitants, it is by far the most populous city in the Bahamas and, along with Grand Bahama, the Exumas and the Abaco Islands, also one of the most popular tourist destinations.
- Vaccinations: When entering from a yellow fever area, proof of a valid yellow fever vaccination is required for all travelers over the age of one. When entering Germany directly, however, there are no compulsory vaccinations, but the Federal Foreign Office recommends checking and completing the standard vaccinations according to the current vaccination calendar of the Robert Koch Institute (e.g. tetanus, diphtheria, etc.). You can read important information about travel vaccinations in my travel magazine.
- Currency: In the Bahamas you pay with Bahamian Dollars, BSD for short. However, in many places you can also pay with US dollars and by credit card. 1 BSD is currently around € 0.86.
- Time change: The time zone is four hours behind UTC, so you have to expect a six-hour time difference in summer time and a five-hour time difference in winter time.
- Language: The official language in the Bahamas is English.
- Infrastructure: The Bahamas enjoy a good infrastructure thanks to the well-developed air and sea transport. To get from one island to the next, you can easily use domestic flights and boat connections. There are also well-developed roads on the islands of New Providence, Grand Bahama and a few others - but be careful, there is left-hand traffic in the Bahamas.
- Kitchen: In the Bahamas you can expect delicious and very varied cuisine with many different flavors. Many of the dishes go back to the Creole and African influences. Fish and seafood, including the famous conch, are particularly popular, as are dishes made with rice, sweet potatoes and black beans.
- Best travel time: The most popular time for a vacation in the Bahamas are the months December to April, however the Bahamas with its pleasant climate, like many other Caribbean places, is a popular travel destination all year round. As always, you can find detailed information about the best time to travel to the Bahamas in my travel calendar.
Stranded in paradise
After weeks of anticipation, the time has finally come: I'm going to one of the most beautiful places in the world, the Bahamas. The almost 7,500 kilometers and around 12.5 flight hoursThose who separate me from my dream destination don't put me off - on the contrary, I make myself really comfortable on the plane and prepare myself mentally for my vacation in paradise. I am surprised because Delta Air Lines offers all its passengers a wide range of in-flight entertainment as well as a so-called free messaging service, with which, for example, WhatsApp can be used free of charge during the entire flight. Warm meals, small snacks and hot and cold drinks are also provided. Nothing stands in the way of a relaxed flight.
Wow, that's exactly how I imagined it!
A stopover in Atlanta and a few films later, the landing is getting closer and closer. Just the view from the window of the long, white sandy beach below me and that turquoise shining sea makes me speechless. Wow, that's exactly how I imagined it! Or is it actually even more beautiful than in the pictures? I'm in love from the very first moment.
My way first leads me directly to the exclusive Sandals Royal Bahamian in Nassau, on the island of New Providence. Just the way from the airport to the hotel is a highlight, because the shuttle driver infects me with his pure zest for life and tells me a bit about the islands and, by the way, about the most popular drink in the Bahamas - Bahama Mama. In the background you can hear Caribbean music that will make you feel right at home Holiday mood offset.
Popular islands and dream beaches in the Bahamas
The Bahamas are made up of more than 700 islands and 2,500 cays, small island countries, of which just under 30 are inhabited. With a total of 16 islands that offer themselves as a holiday destination - unless you can afford a private island like Johnny Depp - the decision is not that easy. Grand Bahama, the Exumas, Paradise Island or would you prefer New Providence? You are spoiled for choice.
Nassau and Paradise Island - the heart of the Bahamas
As already mentioned at the beginning, the first thing I come across is the coveted main island New Providence, into the so-called historical heart. Once you arrive, you will immediately notice what makes the most populous and 33-kilometer-long island in the Bahamas so special. On the one hand, it is clearly the dream beaches, like that Cable Beach, Cabbage Beach or Jaw’s Beach, on the other hand the hustle and bustle, especially in the lively capital Nassau. Let yourself be infected by the Caribbean way of life, walk through the colorful streets of Nassau and admire the architecturally impressive buildings from the colonial era.
Then you can either have a good time on your private hotel beach or you can visit one of the beautiful beach sections on the offshore island Paradise Islandwhere you can find the world famous Atlantis Resort. This resort is not only the largest in the Bahamas, it is also home to the largest marine aquarium in the world, a huge casino and has even served as a location for a James Bond film. You can get here by taxi or ferry within 15 to 20 minutes. It is best to plan half a day or even a full day for the island to really enjoy your time - after all, a five-kilometer-long beach is at your feet here. But be careful: There the Cabbage Beach is now quite well known, it can get a bit crowded here. Just follow the beach to the east, because a little further away from the Atlantis Resort it is often quieter.
I am already very enthusiastic about the many impressions, but my next destination can also keep up here, because for me it is the next Caribbean paradise. Exumas, I'm coming!
Exumas - The place to be
If you ask locals what the most beautiful place in the entire Bahamas is, you will probably get the same answer every time:the Exumas, an archipelago that consists of more than 360 cays and is best known for its two main islands, Great Exuma and Little Exuma. You could almost say that they are the opposite of New Providence, because everything is a bit more original here.Untouched beaches with the finest powdered sugar sand, an unbelievably colorful underwater world and not to forget the swimming pigs are typical of the Exumas, including a few Private islands include, among others, one by Johnny Depp and David Copperfield. No wonder, with these fantastic views!
The approach to the Exumas tops everything!
For me it goes with a small propeller plane Great Exuma. And what should I say? The approach to the Exumas tops everything I've seen so far. The water, the nature, just the overall picture - I am overjoyed and can hardly wait to make my way to my next accommodation and see a lot more of the beautiful island. I don't even know what to do first: go snorkeling, take a boat out or just lie in the Caribbean sun?
Bahamas Resorts - Luxurious & Diverse
As I am lucky enough to get to know two beautiful islands at the same time, I will of course also have the pleasure of staying in two fantastic resorts in the Bahamas. I spend my first days at Sandals Royal Bahamian in Nassau and the rest of the time at Sandals Emerald Bay on Great Exuma.
If you want to make your Caribbean vacation under palm trees more varied, this is the best optionIsland hopping at. Do it like me and visit Nassau and Great Exuma, for example, to enjoy the perfect mix of sightseeing and a top-class beach vacation. The two Sandals Resorts are ideal for this.
While one offers the perfect mix of sightseeing and relaxation, the other is the perfect retreat for couples and those seeking relaxation. But they have one thing in common: Luxury is a top priority in both accommodations.
Do you choose one of the popular Sandals Resorts in the Bahamas, thanks to the all-inclusive package offered there, you can benefit from many amenities and have almost no more expenses on site. In addition to extensive catering, various water sports are also included in the price.
Are you looking for a special accommodation that promises you a mixture of colorful island life and a luxurious vacation, then this is itRoyal Bahamian sandals just the right choice. While the lively capital Nassau, which is only a few minutes' drive away from the hotel, invites you to go sightseeing and shopping, the elegant rooms and bungalows offer you, some even with own whirlpool, insanely beautiful sandy beach and a small one in front of it Private islandwhich is only accessible to hotel guests, relaxing hours in paradise.
Active vacationers are not neglected here either: their own gym with an amazing view of the sea, snorkeling trips, sailing tours and more ensure sporting entertainment. Ten specialty restaurants, eight bars and seven pools round off the offer perfectly. One night in a standard double room costs you from 240 € per person.
Would you like something more exclusive or maybe even spending your long-awaited honeymoon in the Bahamas? Then there is probably no more beautiful resort than thatSandals Emerald Bay on Great Exuma, which is just a 40 minute flight from Nassau. This luxurious hotel is specially geared towards couples and is the perfect place to simply unwind in the midst of a picture-book setting.Fun fact:Two years ago, a romantic Bachelor's dream date even took place in this hotel.
From cozy suites to a chic one Beach villa with your own butler everything your heart desires is included here. Eleven gourmet restaurants with delicacies from all over the world, six bars, five pools, an award-winning 2,700 m² spa area and a wide range of land and water sports as well as a championship golf course do the rest. Prices start at around € 290 per person per night.
Variety of activities
With so much luxury and inviting dream beaches, of course, the leisure activities must not be neglected. But don't worry, the Bahamas have taken care of that too. Snorkeling, Diving, Windsurfing, jet skiing, parasailing, stand-up paddling - all this and much more is on offer here on almost every beach. In Nassau, I myself choose one in a very classic way Snorkeling excursionto see the colorful underwater world of the Bahamas with my own eyes.
Even before it gets wet, I'm completely blown away - you can't imagine how incredibly clear and bright blue the water is here! I can't get enough of these wonderful colors and I'm not sure whether I should pull out my camera or just enjoy the moment. Only a few minutes later it starts - I jump into this dream of blue and am amazed, because right below me there are impressive reefs and lots of colorful fish. I snorkel for an hour, drifting and watching parrotfish, angelfish and whatever their names are. Here, too, I can only say: You just have to see it with your own eyes! But, let me say so much, that was only a small foretaste of what is to come.
Next stop, Pig Beach!
On Great Exuma, I first test the sports on offer away from the water. Tennis, beach volleyball, golf - There is also a lot to choose from on the islands when it comes to activities on land. I decide on a golf trial lesson, which takes place in the most beautiful setting. I don't even know what impresses me more - a ride on the golf cart over the huge course or the magical view of the sea in the background. After a few tries, I actually find fun in this sport, but personally I prefer to dive in these temperatures. Said and done. The next day it's: Next stop, Pig Beach!
A long-awaited dream comes true
How do you say so beautifully? The best comes last. And yes, it is actually the last excursion that awaits me on my trip to paradise. It goes to the swimming pigs - a long-awaited dream comes true! There are now various providers who offer you a half or full day excursion to the cute animals. Personally, on the recommendation of a friend, I decide to go on an almost 8-hour tour to the famous Big Major Caywhich costs $ 275 per person. For a very simple reason: The pigs aren't the only highlight on this trip - and that really has to mean something, doesn't it?
As soon as the boat, which is well filled with maybe 15 participants and two guides, casts off, it becomes clear to me: the drive from one stop to the next is spectacular. We drive past lonely beaches, which are lined with palm trees, but also toluxurious private islands and stop every now and then, because one sensational photo motif follows the next. There is no one who does not have pure enthusiasm written on their face. But that's not all: A first stop where we snorkel with sea turtles can visit the Nurse sharks and a small one Grotto dive ensure that we cannot get out of the radiance during the excursion. In between, one of the two guides fishes a huge conch shell out of the water, with which a delicious salad is conjured up for us and then we continue to a dreamlike sandbar. What a trip!
Swimming pigs on the Exumas
But of course I have to admit that I am - and I think I am speaking for all participants - longingly waiting for a very special stop: The swimming pigs on Big Major Cay. When the guide tells us that we are only a few minutes away from them, my heart beats faster and faster. I finally see her, live and in color. And indeed! We head for Big Major Cay and some of the curious pigs are already busy paddling towards us. At first I am totally flabbergasted, not only because of the fantastic scenery, but also because of the size of the animals.
Please treat the animals with respect, do not press them, do not pick up baby pigs or feed them your own food. You can find a detailed report from my reader Sina with important rules of conduct in my travel magazine.
I slowly dare to go into the water, but still keep my distance. Because as soon as they notice that you have some salad and bread with you (which, by the way, you should never bring your own, but can only be given by the tour operator), they come pretty close and snap after your meal.As long as you are careful and, above all, do not press the animals, but keep a slight distance, you can relax and enjoy your time here and lots of great things Snapshots do. By the way, each of the cute animals has its name, which you can see in the photos on the beach, where the pigs sometimes take a break from sunbathing and take a nap in the shade. Somehow it all seems so surreal: swimming pigs on the beach, in the middle of the Caribbean! I think I will remember this day forever.
After almost 40 minutes, which felt like flying by, we unfortunately have to say goodbye. The excursion is slowly but surely coming to an end and before that we want that one Iguana Island pay a visit. A great end to an unforgettable tour! I am still speechless.
Are you ready for the Caribbean?
And now let's be honest: Did I promise too much or are you just as in love with them Bahamas like me? After my visit I can absolutely understand why so many people keep coming back from this Longing destination rave, but also why it is one of the most luxurious destinations in the world. The nature is simply breathtaking, the offer is incredibly diverse and of course the resorts are amazing too. I'm pretty sure I'll come back someday ... Just to get to know more beautiful places while island hopping, to explore the underwater world again during a dive and to tell you a lot more about this dream destination in the Caribbean. How about you - are you ready for the Caribbean?
Exclusively for you: inspiration for your Caribbean vacation
- What is the best farewell title
- What is self-actualization
- Is logistics a supply chain
- What is considered our mother tongue
- How popular is adderall with investment bankers
- What's the Best Source for Learning SEO
- How do I estimate the web design costs
- Why do democrats seem to hate America
- Are Pewdiepie and Marzia married
- How dangerous is Shelltown San Diego, California
- Which is better HDR10 or HDR400
- Have you ever lied to your children?
- What's the best way to prioritize
- May men independent women
- What causes a phobia to bake beans
- Why do I have the feeling that nothing matters
- What is America First Foreign Policy
- Well do sewage
- How does the lateral adjustment help the organization
- How did Arya betray the faceless man
- Is there really romantic love
- Why the antique market is not falling
- Are you worried about me
- Do the French like Spaniards