Supports Alexandria Ocasio Cortez the voter ID
2020 US presidential electionUS Democrats bring yourself in position
Donald Trump wants to run again for the Republicans in the next presidential election. But who will run for the Democrats? The first candidates are already drawing attention to themselves. We spoke to John Grosser from Democrats Abroad Germany about the potential successors of Donald Trump.
The next presidential election in the USA is expected to take place on November 3, 2020. The primaries will start in less than two years. Donald Trump wants to start again for the Republicans. Tech entrepreneur Mark Cuban is also considering it, also as a Republican candidate.
On the Democratic side, Congressman John K. Delaney has already entered his candidacy. The favorite is an old friend: Bernie Sanders (in the picture above in the middle). John Grosser from Democrats Abroad Germany first supported Bernie Sanders four years ago, and later Hillary Clinton.
There are two main groups of candidates among the Democrats, says Grosser:
- People who are already known: Bernie Sanders or Obama's Vice President Joe Biden, who now regrets that he did not run in 2016
- New faces that were not yet in the running in 2016: Senator Elizabeth Warren from Massachusetts, Senator Kamala Harris from California (pictured above left) or Senator Kirsten Gillibrand from New York (pictured above right)
Women have good cards
You can already see from the list: Basically, women in particular are very strongly supported in the democratic party. So one shouldn't overestimate the chances of Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders, says Grosser.
"Women have very good chances in the presidential election."
At the moment it is even less about the candidates developing very specific, individual positions in order to stand out from one another, says Grosser. It is more "identity politics": Sanders and Biden, for example, wanted to win back the voters of the White Working Class that the Democrats lost to Trump. Kamala Harris, daughter of a Jamaican professor and an Indian doctor, wants to reactivate the "old Obama coalition" and win female and black voters.
Shooting star Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
The new star of the Democrats comes from New York: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a 28-year-old activist with Spanish roots, ensures full halls and real enthusiasm for every campaign appearance. In the primary campaign for the parliamentary elections, Ocasio-Cortez triumphed over their party counterpart Joe Crowley.
Since then she has been the darling of the US media and voters: Charisma, visions and concepts are attributed to her - everything that the Democratic Party has lacked so far. However, she is still too young for the next presidential election: US presidents must be at least 35 years old.
"The Democrats mainly rely on moderate candidates."
In the person of Ocasio-Cortez, you can see a development in the Democratic Party under Trump that differs from the development of the Republican Party under Obama, says Grosser: At that time, the Republican candidates were largely replaced by extreme right-wing politicians. This would have also meant that the Republicans lost a few elections.
The Democrats, on the other hand, are now focusing more on moderate candidates - and "only where they can afford it" - for example in the safe constituency of Ocasio-Cortez - on clearly left-wing positions of "progressive democrats".
More on the subject:
- Why do bananas smell so bad
- Why do you regret loving someone
- Can osteoporosis hurt
- Why does Bakugou call Midoriya Deku
- Why am I always morose
- What's your favorite omelette
- What is patriarchal ideology
- Why do people go while studying
- Koreans find black women attractive
- What is the lock screen
- Have you ever had weed brownies
- What is the salary of the assistant director
- Is Botswana a better country than Brazil
- What if there was only one religion?
- Why acidic is low pH
- Why is life so dangerous
- How do people live in Alaska
- Which is the oldest port of India
- How fresh are the Costco seafood
- Will Belgium ever split up?
- Why is Europe so stable
- Narcissists are extremely lazy
- What awful book should never be read
- Are Filipinos thin-skinned 1