Andrew Johnson was a bad president
Andrew Johnson: This is how the US got rid of the craziest presidents
That he became president was due to a crazy coincidence. It wasn't intended. And it quickly turned out that he was completely unsuitable for the highest office that the American Republic has to bestow.
“The President of the United States,” wrote one reviewer, “has such a unique combination of shortcomings in the position of constitutional officer that he has only been given a chance to govern the nation badly through a haunted death. Both dishonest and stubborn, both devious and unreasonable, both vain and in a bad mood, both hungry for popularity and arbitrary in his disposition, of fickle mind and firm will, he combines in his character the seemingly opposite characteristics of demagogue and demagogue Autocrats. "
The president was "so selfish it bordered insanity" and "surrounded himself with flatterers and schemers". He was a racist. There were wild rumors that he was in league with America's enemies. And he got into a violent conflict with Congress because the House of Representatives was controlled by members of the other party. In the end there was impeachment proceedings.
We're talking about Andrew Johnson, the 17th President of the United States. He came to power in 1865 after Abraham Lincoln was killed by a racist assassin's bullet after leading America through the worst conflict in history, the Civil War. Lincoln had announced in a speech that "educated negroes" (by which he probably meant blacks who could read and write) should be given the right to vote in Louisiana. This was also heard by a certain John Wilkes Booth, who was standing in the crowd. He yelled, "That means civil rights for the niggers, I'll shoot him dead, the dog!"
- How was Kurt Cobain personally
- What is an apostille
- How are McDonalds burgers cooked
- Hire Amazon's user experience teams remotely
- What do people not like to believe?
- How old is the Vietnamese culture
- You can change vehicle ownership online
- Can Nepali work in Singapore
- You should use traditional Chinese characters
- Why nothing is permanent in any life
- Is the final stage of drowning euphoric
- Where should I stay when visiting Havana
- Is Macron gay
- How can I immigrate to Groenland
- The world is getting hotter every year
- Why is anti-Welsh racism so often ignored
- What is the Nursing Review Process
- Why are fencing swords flexible
- How do big companies fire their employees
- May thyroid medicine cause hypertension
- Which English words come from Chinese
- How do I start an airline
- Why do children forgive fathers before mothers?
- Which CV format do employers prefer?