How do I become a bureaucrat
Leadership - The Bureaucrat: “Rules are there to be obeyed”
As a manager, how do you recognize which personality type you tend to be dealing with? Which strengths and problems arise in relation to the completion of tasks and cooperation in the team? As a manager, what can you do to initiate the development of the individual in a direction that is beneficial and meaningful for all sides?
Features of the bureaucratic personality type
Maybe there is a gentleman. Mr. Exactly is very reliable. He adheres to the rules up to the third digit after the decimal point and expects the same from his colleagues. It also takes time before he delivers results because he always makes sure that everything is 100% correct. Deviation from rules and guidelines? Would you like to react flexibly to a special situation? Nothing. A requirement is a requirement and it will not be shaken. This can occasionally get your colleagues and possibly you as a manager excited if your mind is different. Mr. Exactly should have a very clear expression of the preserving permanent pole. The values "conscientiousness", "sense of duty" and "orderliness" are dominant values for him, whereas his openness to new things is likely to be much less pronounced.
Manage bureaucratic characters according to their type
Today there are hardly any work areas in which flexibility does not play a role. But how do you manage a gentleman in a manner that is exactly the right type with his bureaucratic character? This question is all the more important if, for example, Mr. Exactly is not a technician in aircraft construction, in the area of hygiene or in quality control. In these areas, extreme accuracy is certainly desirable. In other areas of activity, a lower level of accuracy in connection with a situation-appropriate flexibility can be decisive for success.
Make yourself aware that insecure people are often extremely strict. They are afraid of making mistakes and therefore avoid taking responsibility when guidelines are interpreted flexibly. You expect a manager to specify exactly how to proceed and what the work result should look like.
Your time is well invested if you sit down with Mr. Exactly over a long period of time and use concrete situations to explore with him where there is room for maneuver and where his severity is appropriate. This enables your employees to gain experience in the future, from which they can learn that flexibility does not lead to chaos straight away. Working with you will reduce his fear of possible mistakes. Its development towards more flexibility is set in motion. Last but not least, the relationship with his colleagues will improve, as they will experience Mr. Exactly as more cooperative, which leads to a more positive team atmosphere overall.
The next article is about the pragmatists on your team. If you are interested in how science tries to track down people's personalities, I invite you to read my article “Personality - Who are you?” to read.
- What should schools stop wasting time teaching
- What are examples of leadership experience
- What should people stop being snobby about?
- What is the dress code at TCS
- How can I become a weed dealer
- Why are people still obsessed with Trump
- Social discrimination is inevitable
- What is women reservation in government jobs
- What are some good companies to start with
- How can you successfully date a feminist
- Is Thai a difficult language to write
- Is it safe to just have breakfast
- Which consulting firms hire JDs
- Which documents are required for a partnership
- How many interns is Microsoft hiring?
- What is career and technical training anyway
- Do the teachers notice the calm children
- What is the divorce rate in Germany?
- What does Starbucks training include
- Which country has the poorest economy?
- Is cycling good for diabetic patients?
- What is a holiday 1
- Why is the USA a dream land
- Why is there child labor