Which country supports pensioner immigration?

Right of residence for pensioners

Pensioners have had a real European right of residence since 1992

In fact, pensioners who wanted to move to another EU country in the 1980s had to rely on the goodwill of the local authorities. The administrative procedure was largely left to the discretion of the national authorities. Pensioners did not have an enforceable right to live in another EU member state.

That has changed: since 1992 a residence guideline has been in place that also gives pensioners a real European right of residence. You are entitled to this right to live in another EU country under two conditions: You must be able to support yourself and have health insurance. The first requirement is met if your income is so high that you are not entitled to social assistance in the country of your new housing law. The consulates of the member states provide information on the minimum income required for this. The submission of the pension notification is sufficient as proof.

As a member of the statutory pension health insurance, your health insurance coverage is also guaranteed in other EU countries. However, it is imperative that you deregister from your home health insurer before you move, otherwise you will endanger your insurance cover. Caution: unsubscribe, do not cancel! You remain a member of the German health insurance and pay the contributions, but in the event of illness, the statutory health insurance at your new place of residence pays. It is therefore also important: If you live in another EU country and go "on vacation" to Germany, you need a foreign health insurance certificate from your country of residence.

If the two requirements - sufficient income and health insurance coverage - are met, the authorities of the country you want to move to are not allowed to set any further conditions. The residence permit must be issued. As a rule, it is valid for five years and can be extended. You apply for your residence permit after your entry at the immigration authorities of your new place of residence. In addition to the evidence already mentioned, you usually have to bring your passport, a copy of the passport and three passport photos. In most of the EU Member States, pensioners can now obtain residence permits without any further problems.

And you should report the move to the pension insurance company in good time, because three to four months are estimated for the changeover. For this you need:

- the new address

- a personal statement about the type of stay (temporary or permanent)

- proof of your current nationality

- and of course the new bank details.

Additional Information:

German Pension Insurance Federation
Ruhrstrasse 2
Entrance: Fehrbelliner Platz 5
10709 Berlin
Service phone: 0800 10 00 480 70 (Free of charge throughout Germany)
Monday to Thursday: 7.30 a.m. to 7.30 p.m.
Friday: 7.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.
Fax: 030 865-27240
Please provide your insurance number and your current address.
Internet: http://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung-bund.de

Addresses of the embassies