Why is English considered an international language
English How the English language became the world language
Average rating: 4.10 of 5 with 30 votes.
Because there are so many different languages on earth, it is useful to have a language that everyone speaks or understands - at least a little. This task has mainly been done by English since the 19th century. How it came about is here.
From: Kathrin Hasselbeck
Status: November 20, 2018
The expansion of the British Empire, the British Empire. The English started very early, around 1500, to sail the oceans and conquer foreign countries. So it came about that in the 19th century Australia, New Zealand, India, parts of China and Africa and North America, among others, were under English rule. In some of these countries, English has established itself as the main national language.
Nowadays America, or rather the USA, has a great influence on world affairs. America often sets the tone in politics and economics, but above all in modern pop music - including, of course, Great Britain, which is also English. Whether rock'n'roll, swing, blues, hip-hop or rap - everything made in USA or made in the UK. Since this music is heard in almost every country in the world, the language in which it is sung also spreads.
Incidentally, while English is the most widely spoken language in the world, it is not the most widely spoken. Just the standard Chinese language Mandarin is spoken by a lot more people because there are so many Chinese in the world. For comparison: "Only" around 320 million people speak English as their mother tongue, while Mandarin is spoken by around 870 million Chinese! However, if you count all people among the native English speakers who have learned English as their own language, then you even catch up with the Chinese: Worldwide, up to a billion people can speak and understand English. So instead of having to learn the many thousands of languages in the world in order to be able to converse with people, English is simply used as a language bridge on which to meet. That's great, isn't it?
- Which company conducts exit interviews?
- What do you call your grandmother
- Do artists actually support music piracy
- Why are you changing your job profile
- Why shouldn't women serve in the military?
- What is the capital of Suriname
- Jony Ive designs Apple's new campus
- Why are your people so stupid
- Why is Madurai called a temple city
- Why do I yawn excessively
- How do I stop catastrophicizing everything
- Are hospitals a dangerous place for infection?
- Optimism can prolong life
- How much tax does Google pay 1
- How does a better doctor make money
- Who were the kings of Karnataka
- Does a man love to be sucked?
- What does Vikatan mean
- Why do many software projects fail today?
- Is the office area connected to the office
- What are your achievements
- Is the Hindu religion older than the Islamic religion
- How well does OYO live in Bangalore
- Can a Muslim be a feminist