Can kissing transmit HIV
HIV infection when kissing or having oral sex?
Question: What is the likelihood of contracting HIV while kissing or having oral sex? Could e.g. B. Do fever blisters pose a risk of HIV infection from bursting? What diseases can you get infected with intensive kissing, oral sex or protected sexual intercourse (condom)?
First of all, on the subject of AIDS
The virus is found in different body fluids in different concentrations: semen is considered highly infectious, followed by blood. Vaginal fluid contains lower concentrations and saliva is less infectious. In order to trigger an HIV infection, fluids containing the virus must be able to penetrate the bloodstream. Small wounds may also be sufficient. Contact of virus-containing material with healthy, intact skin or mucous membrane is not sufficient for an HIV infection. Fever blisters that have burst open can be a gateway if virus-containing secretions come into contact with them. If the cold sore of an HIV-positive person bleeds and the blood gets onto a wound of a non-infected person, there is a risk of infection. The risk of infection also depends on the virus concentration!
From the fever blister to genital herpes
Of the other sexually transmitted diseases, some can also be transmitted through oral sex.
Oral intercourse is not a known mode of transmission for classic sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea or syphilis. However, it must be assumed that in some stages of the disease, namely when the entire body is affected, for example in stage II of syphilis, the body secretion may contain bacteria, i.e. it may be infectious.
In the case of viruses, infection through oral sex is certainly possible. Here, too, a sufficient virus concentration and a skin or mucous membrane defect are required. Herpes can be transmitted from the lips to the genitals. No condom protects against herpes either!
The forms of hepatitis transmitted through body secretions are hepatitis B and hepatitis C. As with HIV transmission, blood is the main source of infection for hepatitis. The ways and conditions are the same. The danger with the aforementioned forms of hepatitis is that both can pass into the chronic form, which can then lead to liver cirrhosis or liver cancer.
There is a vaccination against hepatitis B.
You are quite well protected from the other sexually transmitted diseases during sexual intercourse with a condom. The route of infection for these diseases via intense kissing is unlikely, as is oral sex. Basically, it should be said that infections generally always require a certain concentration of pathogens, a suitable entry point and a medium in which the pathogens can multiply.
Stay informed with the newsletter from netdoktor.at
Dr. Britta Bürger, specialist in gynecology and obstetrics
More articles on the topic
- What is an hourly rate for Java consultants
- What is beautiful Bali
- Is it allowed to watch TikTok in Ramadan?
- Which is the most popular IPL team
- Why is nothing easy in life
- What are the best celebrity perfumes
- Can young people live without smartphones?
- Entrepreneurs are exempt from some taxes
- What is the use of Instagram filters
- Is Toronto a nice place to live
- What is the brutal truth about living alone
- How much is unknown about the unknown
- What constitutes a nuclear family after marriage
- When can I start in the morning
- What are some bible verses about relationships
- What is the future of the Italian economy
- Canada has become a matriarchy
- Wealthy people are less empathetic
- Which Asian country accepts black people more?
- How were individuals shaped by society
- All women are narcissists
- Could we live in a black hole?
- What are some traditional foods from Vietnam
- Smoking employees of tobacco companies
- What does BRP mean in slang
- Can China and the US avoid war?
- What causes a person to be nocturnal
- Will we ever solve problems with highway traffic?
- How bad is the American economy really
- Kill Effy Katie in Skins
- What are the risks of bungee jumping
- How does Limburger cheese smell
- Why can't everyone be rich?