Koreans are great
Average size of man and woman
Height by countryThe table below shows the average height, weight and BMI from 134 countries. All information relates to men and women between the ages of 18 and 25. By the way, the average man in Germany is 180 cm tall. The average German woman reaches a height of 166 cm with 14 cm less.
Body size according to continentsA mere list by country may be helpful when it comes to classifying yourself in your environment. Here again a list summarized by subcontinent. Here, too, it becomes clear that there are definitely deviations within a continent. The weight of Southeast Asians and Polynesians differs slightly from the rest of the subcontinent. With regard to body size, there are noticeable fluctuations in southern Europeans, North Americans and Near Eastern Asians compared to the rest of the respective continent.
Influences on body sizeThe main reasons for a regionally different body size are inheritance and the nutritional standard. Protein-rich food is important, and this will be noticeable over generations. Protein is an essential component here, but a weakening of the body due to diseases and allergies also has a growth-inhibiting effect. Due to the weakening of the immune system, diseases occur more frequently and therefore consume the energy that the body could put into its growth. Good health is primarily due to good nutrition, but also to a good health system with adequate medical care. As a result, the average height is strikingly low, especially in poor third world countries.
Genetic predispositions are another factor influencing body size. However, it is not individual genes that speak for or against pronounced growth, but rather the interaction of several dozen genes. The characteristics of these genes are passed on in families or ethnic groups.
Historical increase in sizeIn almost every country in the world, the average height has increased significantly over the past 100 years. While German men were about 13 cm shorter at the beginning of the 20th century, Spanish men gained over 14 cm and Iranians even over 16 cm. Among women, the height of South Koreans has increased by over 20 cm.
These high increases are unique in human history. In no phase of evolution have humans grown as much as they have been since the Industrial Revolution at the end of the 18th century. In the previous 1000 years, both men and women did not grow at all on average and before that only by 1-2 cm per 1000 years.
DatabaseAll sizes and weights are based on a summary of scientific studies evaluated by the NCD Risk Factor Collaboration (NCD-RisC) and published in the medical journal The Lancet. The more than 2100 studies summarized there date from 1985 to 2019. In contrast to the NCD-RisC, however, no long-term development is to be presented here, which is why the data in the table above is composed only of studies from the last 3 years.
- Can I do two degrees at the same time
- Why is the sea in Norway black
- How should Christians deal with non-Christian songs
- What would make your job easier?
- How has technology changed the dating scene
- How is a Moroccan breakfast
- How good was King David
- Is China a good country or not
- Ingesting antioxidants has improved your health
- How do libertarians feel about affordable housing
- If China is evil, why
- Why did China develop so quickly
- Could a matriarchal life improve society?
- How do I raise money on YouTube
- What is the procedure for 80G registration
- Which fitness equipment is actually worth buying
- Did you do something really impressive today?
- The future of chain of custody certification
- What is a typical salary for a tax attorney
- Who are Bloomberg Terminal users
- German men like Indian women
- What do employers really want
- How conservative are the Philippines
- Who founded Islam?
- How does a tight budget prevent hyperinflation?
- How are spies caught in real life
- What do economists think of income taxes?
- What gives you hope for your country
- Why are companies looking for laid-off employees
- What percentage of people work from home?
- What do Australians think of the Turks?
- Why does Mumbai Dabbawala still exist
- Skype is still used
- Who are 5 Indian astronauts