Why did my dog stop eating
Dog refuses to eat unless hand-fed
My dog is a 3 year old Pomeranian. He is very happy, active and loves to be with other people. He only ate when there were people around him, so I went with him during his meal times, which are mornings and evenings. Still, I had a problem with his eating habits.
A few months ago an aunt stayed with us and stayed in the house most of the day. She loves animals, so my aunt spent a lot of time with my dog. She stroked him and took him out and started feeding him by putting the food on her hand and then he would eat it from her hand. She'd feed him pretty much like he was a little kid, which I thought was ridiculous. I spoke to her about the problem, but she ignored my conversation and did it behind my back. My aunt left a week ago but now the problem is my dog refused to eat unless I do the exact same thing. I worry because I don't like him not eating for a day or two, but at the same time, I don't like when he eats my hand. How can I make my dog forget this habit of only eating from someone's hand?
I thought I would just stop doing it and at some point he'll get really hungry and forced to eat. However, I worry that he will just stop eating altogether. What's the best approach to this problem?
A stubborn dog won't stop eating; it will eventually eat. Put the food in his bowl or on a plate and wait as soon as you see him eat his dish with treats and praise.
Feel free to add something really delicious, something he gets bananas for to break his willpower and decide which bowl to use :).
Maybe he's got used to being hand-fed and is now expecting it. At some point a hungry dog still eats, it does not take 20 minutes before the dog no longer wants to eat. Just step out of the bowl and see if he eats at all all day. Otherwise, I would recommend gradually reintroducing the dog to bowl food. Feed him gradually or over several sessions from your hand directly on top of the bowl. Move your hand closer to the bowl of food until it is essentially eating out of the bowl without your help, if that makes sense. Good luck!
It sounds like he's equating hand-feeding with affection / attention. Try to spend time with him to play or go for a walk before his normal feeding time. Praise him often. Then, at feeding time, put his bowl down and crouch down next to him while you place him next to his bowl. Talk to him; praise him. I think he will start eating alone.
I had the same problem with my husband. My aunt also started hand-feeding to get him to eat. It turned out he didn't like the sound of his labels stuck to the bowl. I switched to paper plates and it solved the problem. If you've noticed that your dog is interested when you empty the dishwasher, I may have sensitive ears that keep him away from eating the bowl. I also got him a new label that weaves around his collar, but he still won't eat from his metal bowl. Hope this helps frustrated fur parents
Ny Silky Terrier stopped eating so the vet took a test and found that his blood test chemistry showed the onset of a kidney problem. He lost his appetite because the kidney appears to be affecting the smell and taste. I'm not saying your Furpets have such a problem just to mention it for my pet. Sometimes they just don't like the smell of certain bowls or pick up what it says, or they just don't like the smell anymore ... it could be anything. But a clean had every day is much better than a bowl from whoever loves it. (:(: PS He's fine now, but wants to shake hands at some point ...!
- How is Jim Rogers personally?
- What is a simple cheap lunch
- What currency does Guernsey use
- Why do I hate high school
- Like life at Accenture Gurgaon for freshmen
- Removing a mole causes cancer
- What is the history of population policy
- You can train neural networks in parallel
- What is the average worldwide salary for a software developer
- Im 18 Whom should I choose
- Why do people treat me differently
- Why is CA difficult
- Can America work for cheap labor
- What are some examples of great code
- Why didn't Trump go after Colbert?
- What is the argument of Muslims against Christianity
- Is Tyrion the third Targaryen
- Do you like the person you have become
- Gentle parenting is always the best policy
- What made the universe exist
- What is healthy to eat for dinner
- What is the psychology of ignoring
- Which is the happiest pet animal
- What inspired the TV show Dexter
- Why do developing countries need partial convertibility
- What does generation gap mean
- Can't aliens exist
- How does a VoIP business work
- Children like school because of the break
- Is Australia good for civil engineers
- How do I correct the forward head posture
- Hell is a dirty word
- How did diversity help your company innovate?