Chimneys are a status symbol
A homage to the stove tile: About history, creation and design
- Why is a tiled stove useful?
- Which stove tiles are there?
- Where does the stove tile come from?
- How are stove tiles made?
- The stove tile as a status symbol
Why is a tiled stove useful?
There is hardly anything nicer than heating up the tiled stove when it is storming and snowing outside: the best thing is to have a cup of hot tea or a glass of wine and the cozy evening can begin. However, a fireplace is more than just a source of warmth. With the right shape and above all a high-quality cladding Stove tiles it becomes a real eye-catcher for the living room.
The history of the tiled stove spans several centuries. The fact that this technology persisted into modern times and is still used today is a testament to its functionality and appeal. On the one hand, thanks to its mineral composition, a tile is able to store the cozy warmth of the fire and give it off again. A tile for a tiled stove has a very effective absorption capacity and can give off pleasant warmth even at lower temperatures. Another advantage of tiles is their design options. Almost any decoration is conceivable, as well as the color design. A tile thus enables the highest degree of individuality on a stove.
In addition to the classic stove tile, another ceramic fireplace cladding is an option that achieves similar standards both visually and thermally. The Fireplace stoveMaria Luigia by the manufacturer Sergio Leoni, for example, uses this cladding to imitate the appearance of a column reminiscent of Roman baths.
Which stove tiles are there?
The landscape of the stove tiles offers a diverse and varied range of variants, especially from a historical perspective. A distinction is made between those tiles that are completed as individual elements and those that have an additional attachment, which is usually of a decorative nature. The first group are the so-called vessel tiles. These include, for example:
- Mug tiles
- Bowl tiles
- Pot tiles
- Tube tiles and much more.
As the names suggest, these are funnel-shaped to semicircular inserts that allow a higher heating volume. Plate tiles or leaf tiles serve primarily as ornaments and are usually made up of a surface and a functional body. In addition, some tiled stoves also have other ceramic components such as ledges or foot elements.
Where does the stove tile come from?
Ceramic has been used for thousands of years and still offers the best properties to this day. The word ceramic is derived from the Greek word “keramos” and denotes a mineral clay. Until the years around 2,500 BC the manufacture and use of ceramics can be traced. It can also be seen that this material was used for the construction of fireplace stoves at an early stage, especially in the Alps. The actual tile for the stove, as it is known today, has been produced since the Middle Ages and was part of the basic equipment in castles and monasteries of the 13th century. The stove tile is located locally in Central Europe.
How are stove tiles made?
The manufacture of the ceramic stove tiles is relatively uncomplicated, but still time-consuming. Liquid clay is poured into molds, usually plaster molds. The cast tiles dry there for several days. Then the tiles are covered with a glaze and put in an oven Fired at 1,000 degrees Celsius. The advantage of the glaze is that the tile can be cleaned very easily later. The stove tile can be kept clean with a damp cloth. In addition, the choice of glaze offers the possibility of individualization so that the final tiled stove also ideally matches the apartment and the furniture.
Even today, high-quality tiles are still made exclusively from natural components. Certain types of clay as well as feldspar and pigments are used for the production of a stove tile. The artistic design is mostly based on the regional conditions and tradition of the Stove tile manufacturer embossed.
The stove tile as a status symbol
What is a matter of course for us today was for people in the Middle Agespure luxury. Only the richest people could afford large fireplace kits and stoves. They quickly began to regard the tiles as objects of art and status symbols: the more splendid the motifs, the more complex the production, of course. There are even some scientific treatises that deal exclusively with the history of art and the motifs depicted on stove tiles. The Decorate with tiles for the stove, on which the family coat of arms is emblazoned, is one such possibility. In the city archive of Mühlhausen, for example, pages of information on heraldry which can also be found in the stove tiles of this time.
This is how the typicalBowl tile for example, to the Gothic period and the stove tiles, which are very decorated with motifs, to the Renaissance period. And even today, the production of stove tiles for fireplaces is a complex manufacturing process. So it is hardly surprising that the complete cladding of an individual tiled stove is still a very exclusive affair. When building a new tiled stove, this prestige can also be found in a modern living room. Handcrafted tiles with individual, made-to-measure ornaments may be more expensive, but they last a long time. This is how you can use stove tiles revive historical spirit. But you don't have to do without contemporary comfort. The advantage is that you can retrofit an old tiled stove and equip it with a new tiled stove insert. Of course, it is also important to be able to clean the tiles on the stove properly. So they shine for as long as possible and can function effectively.
If you don't want to do without the heat-storing properties and the exclusive appearance of a ceramic-clad stove, you will find the Shop from ofen.de you will definitely find what you are looking for. Because we offer a large number of well-known manufacturers such as Koppe, Monolith and Dal Zotto, who in turn come up with a generous range.
- What's Swiggy's salary
- Who is the best gastroenterologist in Lucknow
- What are some informal greetings
- What is the best employee retention strategy
- Is there someone who is famous for no reason
- How do investment bankers deal with stress
- How important is resilience in our life
- Where does the term ship shape come from?
- Which makes people crave more fatty foods
- What are we going to school
- What is your traditional dressing style
- Firefighters in the US are overpaid
- What kind of things does the weather affect
- Makes a podcast expensive
- Why is language so important to anthropologists
- Maine represents what smells the most
- Which is better pho or ramen
- Any person can live up to the age of 110
- How do I teach below average students
- What are some awful places in london
- What are the raiders in Fallout 4
- Why do people cry over sad films
- Should Asian immigrants come free
- Which is the best Cal State 1
- What are you deliberately keeping secret
- How does raw sewage smell
- What made humans the first domesticated animals
- How beautiful was the Prophet Muhammad
- What is the specialty of Indian food
- Which profession requires the most accurate skills
- What is the procedure for 80G registration
- My maid steals my medication
- How many hours do web designers work
- What makes Singapore such a fantastic country