Does the order of birth affect a person's personality
Psychology: Sibling position hardly influences personality
Whether you are born first, stand in the middle between older and younger siblings or grow up as the baby of the family: none of this has much influence on a person's personality in adulthood. This is what psychologists from the universities of Leipzig and Mainz are now reporting. The researchers analyzed the data of more than 20,000 adults from Germany, the USA and Great Britain to see whether the order of birth within the family actually had an effect on certain character traits. For some time now, scientists and amateur psychologists have been speculating about whether firstborn babies are more prone to perfectionism, while the youngest children in the house are typically considered rebels.
The data from the German research team now show that in all three countries examined there is no connection between the sibling constellation and the personality traits extraversion, emotional stability, tolerance and conscientiousness. Firstborns apparently just think they are a little wiser and report more often that they have a large vocabulary and understand abstract ideas well when they are asked to provide information about themselves. Older siblings also have an advantage in terms of intelligence actually measured. As other studies have already shown, intelligence declines slightly from the first to the lastborn. "This effect on intelligence can be reliably found in large samples, but is not very meaningful on an individual level," says study author Stefan Schmukle from the University of Leipzig. If you compare two siblings with each other, the younger brother or sister would have the higher IQ in over 40 percent of the cases. In addition, the effects found are so small that they are presumably of little importance for life.
- Where is the TVS Motor Company located
- All US passport holders are US citizens
- Is KNN supervised or unsupervised
- Will the social security fund run out?
- Why does my knee hurt so much
- What is the future of aerospace engineering
- Which US state legalizes postpartum abortion?
- Which countries do not issue tourist visas?
- How did Confucianism come to Japan
- How do Americans feel about British English?
- Reads one book too much every day
- What makes a person rich
- Prisoners receive free meals in jail
- How can i get reliance jio sim
- What do Chinese women like most?
- What does abbarbicare mean in Italian
- What is your customer service number 1
- How is baby circumcision not child abuse
- Which is the most expensive hotel in Mumbai
- What ruined your life
- Can deployed soldiers make phone calls
- How should an entrepreneur invest 100,000
- How were the Germans defeated in Stalingrad
- What is the best Yamaha digital piano
- Why are some people not interested in business?
- The apostle Paul was married
- What happens when you heat yeast
- How does culture shape who we are
- What is your favorite type of restaurant
- How should I look for consulting jobs
- What exactly does an undercover agent do
- How many descendants did Wilhelm IV.
- What are the best startup business cards