How are mega-projects managed
About the failure of megaprojects
90 percent of all megaprojects exceed their budget and schedule. According to a recent study, this has a significant impact on the global economy. But the study authors also found explanations for the problems that arise in such large-scale projects.
An analysis of almost 1,000 megaprojects showed that their actual costs were on average 55 percent above the original budget. According to the study "Keep your Megaproject on Track" carried out by the consulting firm Roland Berger, given the increasing number of megaprojects, this is likely to have a significant impact on the global economy.
According to the consultants, these serious effects result from the fact that an estimated 30 to 75 trillion euros are to be invested in mega-projects over the next 15 years. However, improvements in management could save between € 3 and € 7.5 trillion.
Standard project management procedures do not apply
But in order to actually generate these savings, the consultants set out to find the causes of the problems. In addition to the complexity of the projects, one thing lies in their incomparability: For a mega project, there is usually no comparable project in the past.
In addition, the usual standard project management procedures - from the stage-gate concept to front-end loading - have all proven to be inadequate for mega-projects. This is because they generally focus on static decision-making and progress control. However, prerequisites for project success or causes for the failure of mega-projects would be left out.
After all, four factors are usually decisive:
The complexity of the mega-projects.
The groundbreaking character of the projects, which means that hardly any standard procedures are used and the respective individual challenges only come to light as the project progresses.
The unpredictability of circumstances and complications. These can neither be avoided nor precisely calculated in advance.
A change in the dynamics of the actors in the course of the project.
Appropriate decisions with precise reactions are required
"These four factors create problems that the management of megaprojects has to solve," says Heiko Ammermann, partner at Roland Berger and co-author of the study. "In addition, errors in the decision-making processes at the lower levels of a project are often not communicated through the chain of command." This leads to an additional misalignment of the project's puzzle pieces. And: the later this is recognized, the more additional work is necessary. This in turn results in exceeding the schedule and budget.
Therefore, it is important to have tools that enable you to make quick and appropriate decisions with precise reactions throughout the project. For this, the collection, analysis and synthesis of all relevant information must take place continuously.
- Which countries do not have immigration controls?
- What causes water bubbles on my breasts
- Is there a parachute jump license?
- Why are teachers exempt from overtime
- Can I hack Roblox using Lucky Patcher
- What is a housekeeping manager
- What are some examples of ethnic groups
- 12 years experience salary India IT
- Why do babies squirm while breastfeeding?
- Which forum pages are good
- Why are London underground stations so deep
- Are there Muslim republicans
- Is Indrapuram safe for girls
- Why do Canadians feel superior to Americans?
- What Roman Catholic doctrines are infallible
- Imperial College London accepts transfer students
- Why do Serbs support Donald Trump
- What is the brutal truth about living alone
- What is a career in agriculture
- What Hong Kongers don't like about Indians
- What is polite in Great Britain
- Why is nothing ever enough
- Mutton tastes better than lamb
- Why can't I pee
- What is your favorite place in america
- Does the US Congress have running time restrictions
- Where can I buy a counterfeit iPhone?
- Why do you love being Colombian
- ENFPs are often misunderstood
- Are two card tarot readings correct?
- How difficult is the ABRSM class 5 theory
- Why do some people love power