Can cause moisture to rise through concrete
Residual moisture in mineral substrates can only be blocked off if the residual moisture remaining in the substrate does not damage the substrate. Usually this works very well on cement screeds. Gypsum-based screeds (calcium sulfate / anhydrite) and magnesia screeds, on the other hand, can be decomposed by moisture and their structure weakened.
With today's fast construction method, what is the possibility of laying floor coverings / floor coverings promptly, if necessary despite increased residual moisture in the subsurface?
In principle there are three different systems for blocking moisture from the subsurface. A distinction must be made between floating floor coverings and fully bonded floor coverings; epoxy resin and polyurethane-based systems have proven themselves on the market for years.
- In the case of floating floor coverings (e.g. laminate floors, prefabricated parquet floors, cork parquet, etc.), there is the option of installing a vapor barrier or vapor barrier in addition to the footfall sound-insulating underlays. The systems known here are 0.2 mm PE films with a vapor-retarding effect, but also stronger PVC films with a vapor-barrier effect.
- A simple and inexpensive alternative in terms of laying technology are footfall sound insulation underlays, which have already been provided with a laminated aluminum foil by the manufacturer.
- If floor coverings / floor coverings are laid fully glued, the films or underlays mentioned under 2 cannot be used. In this case, it is possible to block off the mineral substrate against residual moisture / rising moisture. Mainly two systems are offered here: 2-component epoxy resin primer systems, which are applied in 2 layers crosswise at 90 °. These 2-component primers form a dense film on the surface of the substrate, which has a firm hold to the substrate and a sufficient vapor-retarding effect. Or, as an alternative, a 1-component polyurethane primer, which is set to have a significantly lower viscosity and thus has the option of penetrating even deeper into the pores / capillaries of the screed construction. Since moisture escapes from the subsurface in the mineral screed construction via capillaries, a vapor barrier effect can be achieved by filling this capillary. For both systems, the manufacturer's permissible limit values must be observed.
If mineral substrates on the surface are sealed against residual moisture, it must be ensured that the moisture can escape via the wall / edge joints. Either ventilated skirting board systems or moisture-resistant materials are to be used here.
Caution is also advised with regard to heated screed constructions. By operating underfloor heating, the moisture remaining in the screed is "forcibly" pushed upwards. Barriers can therefore only be used on underfloor heating if they have been explicitly approved by the manufacturer for this area of application. Here, too, the residual moisture content and the type of underfloor heating (flow temperature, maximum surface temperature, etc.) must be observed.
Source: Institute for Floor Construction, Torsten Grotjohann,Overath
Expertise on the subject
With regard to the execution of seals, a distinction is made between surface seals, seals on movement joints and ...
Young concrete ceilings / concrete floors, which have an increased moisture content, are particularly present in new buildings. As...
For the use of common floor coverings, e.g. B. parquet floors, carpets, ceramic tiles, elastic floor coverings etc. are ...
Moisture protection: waterproofing
Simple waterproofing against soil moisture According to DIN 18195 waterproofing of buildings - Part 4: Waterproofing against soil moisture ...
Moisture protection: requirements
The task of the architect / planner is to create seals or protective measures against rising damp from the subsurface ...
- What is the controversy surrounding SNSD
- What are government bonds and bonds
- Why can't I pee
- What religion do you practice and why
- Why a teacher is better than a doctor
- What are the levels of strategic planning
- Has the culture changed in Japan?
- Who is a perfect groom for brides
- How do I survive every day without breakfast
- What are unconscious signs of attraction
- Why is incontinence incurable
- Is deli turkey meat healthy?
- How do you describe a smell?
- Who are western Eurasians
- What is the future of aerospace engineering
- How many battles were there in World War II
- Why do bananas smell so bad
- How are spies caught in real life
- Boys prefer cute or hot girls
- How do I get an offshore job
- How many fighter jets does China have
- The death of lesbians in bed is common
- What is your best edited photo
- Was communism ever successfully implemented?
- Who makes Insignia TVs
- Is family really that important
- Is there incest in Islam
- Why are hearing aids so small
- What are the disadvantages of direct taxes
- What is a good place for a first date
- Politics ruin democracy
- What is good psychotherapy
- What are the expectations for the first night or the honeymoon
- What do you mean by marketing strategy