On what basis do the Comoros claim Mayotte
General and historical
AREA: 1862 sq km.
POPULATION DENSITY: 347 per square km.
CAPITAL: Moroni. Population: 63,700
The Comoros are an island state in the Indian Ocean and consist of the three islands Grande Comore (Ngazidja), Anjouan (Nzwani) and Moheli (Mwali). They are located in the Mozambique Channel, north of Madagascar, and south of Mozambique.
The name of the Comoros comes from the Arabic Juzur al-Qamar, which means "lunar islands". The island of Mayotte, which is also part of the Comorian archipelago, is a French overseas territory, but is claimed by the Union of Comoros.
Around the year 800, the Comoros Islands were under the influence of Oman. Persians and Arabs who had settled in the 16th century founded their own sultanates on the main islands. In 1505 Portuguese sailors reached the islands.
France established a first colony on the island of Mayotte in 1843, which was merged with the Comoros to form a colonial unit in 1912. This was subordinated to the Governor General of Madagascar in 1914.
The Comoros gained extensive autonomy in 1961 and complete independence in 1975. However, the people of Mayotte decided to stay with France. To this day, however, this island is claimed by the Comoros.
- How's a bad sour trip
- How do I get jobs in Ireland
- Who can apply to immigrate to the UK?
- How construction workers build a house
- What are the effects of a gender imbalance
- How do people see the British
- How many years did Jesus preach?
- What are techniques to cure digestive problems
- What are the best vegetables for export
- What are some crazy extreme sports
- Women like little men
- Which meat is considered red meat
- What jobs do you admire
- Why was kabuki created
- Do narcissists ever track their previous stash
- Older women are invisible
- The sun will explode in April 2018
- How was God himself or himself created
- Which money transfer app is international
- Can a police case be reopened?
- How can I deal with verbal abuse
- What are some mushroom stem recipes
- Are waxes amphipathic
- School uniforms inhibit or encourage learning