How do Spanish accents work
The stress indicates which syllable of a word is particularly emphasized when speaking. In Spanish there are certain rules of accentuation. If the emphasis deviates from these rules, an accent mark must be used.
Basic stress rules
For Spanish words without accent marks, we can remember the following stress rules:
- Words ending in n / s or a vowel are stressed on the penultimate syllable.
- foto, photos, veranoFoto, photos, summer
- Words that end in a consonant (except n / s) are stressed on the last syllable.
- verdad truth
If words are stressed differently than in the rules above, they are given an accent.
- álbum, década, MéxicoAlbum, decade, Mexico
The rules for setting accented characters are explained below.
When it comes to the stressing of words, there are four types of words, which depend on the stressed syllable of the word. Depending on the position of the stressed syllable and the last letter of the word, an accent mark must be placed over the stressed syllable or not.
The adverbs that lead to -mente ending are the only words with two accents: one on the adjective and the second on the ending -mente. If the adjective had an accent, it stays with the adverb.
- último → últimamente
tranquilo → tranquilamente
Of a diphthong is spoken when two consecutive vowels are part of the same syllable.
- abuelos → a-bue-los
ciudad → ciu-dad
Is the diphthong Part of the stressed syllable of the word, the accent mark is set according to the following rules:
- First there is a weak vowel (i, u) and then a strong vowel (a, e, o) let's put the accent mark above the strong vowel.
- después, acción
- Does the diphthong from two weak vowels (i, u), we put the accent mark over the second vowel.
Of a Triphthong is spoken when three vowels appear together and are part of the same syllable. The middle vowel is always made up of two weak vowels (i, u) locked in.
- vieira → viei-ra
dioico → dioi-co
Is the Triphthong Part of the stressed syllable of the word, the accent mark is placed above the middle vowel.
- copiáis, cambiéis
We're talking about one hiatus, when two vowels appear together but belong to two different syllables. The hiatus can consist of two strong vowels (a, o, e) or from a weak one (u, i) and a strong vowel (a, o, e) consist.
- crío → crí-o
baúl → ba-úl
roedor → ro-e-dor
cooperar → co-o-pe-rar
At the hiatus we have to observe the following accent rules:
- Does the hiatus from a strong vowel (a, o, e) and a weak vowel (i, u), we put the accent on the weak vowel, regardless of whether it is before or after the strong vowel and whether the accent is necessary or not according to the general accent rules.
- oído → o-í-do
- cacatúa → ca-ca-tú-a
both words end in a vowel without hiatus no accent would be necessary here
- All other words that one hiatus follow the general accent rules.
- Jaén → Ja-én
aéreo → a-é-re-o
Change of meaning through the accent mark
In addition to clarifying the emphasis, we also use accent marks for words with the same spelling but different meanings. One speaks here of one diacritical marks.
- el - él
esta - está
- El it el chico que está esperando para entrar en esta sala.
See also words with / without accent.
- Fought China in the Korean War
- Is a 9 hour shift too long
- What do these three Chinese characters mean?
- Why are horses so obedient
- Game of Thrones or Downton Abbey
- What do you call a male girl
- What does that mean in C ++
- What is a workers' cooperative
- How are McDonalds burgers cooked
- What are the Best Grindr Hacks
- What makes someone a good parent
- Are there life coaches for children
- How do companies work with subsidiaries
- Why is the Mercator projection bad
- Which factors influence foreign direct investment
- Can be used in construction with pure cement
- Woody Allen has a personality disorder
- Can I buy musical instruments online?
- When does algebra become useful in life?
- Why are you proud to be Nigerian
- Why do I feel like a sissy
- When did you experience real suffering?
- Australia has a housing bubble in 2015
- How is baby circumcision not child abuse